Friday, April 15, 2011

Recycle!

As far as materials go I have probably used half salvaged materials for the construction of this house. The base framing for the most part is made of new materials but the roofing, siding, windows, flooring, plumbing (some of it :), toilet, kitchen sink, some of the trim, etc was all reused or salvaged material. I am pretty green as far as materials and renewable energy go.

The house is on skids and I have already moved it once on a trailer about 14 miles. I had some help from some friends moving it and everything went smoothly. Nothing moved or anything! Being 22' long I thought maybe something would move a bit but even the smallest joint in the sheet-rocked walls and ceiling stayed perfectly intact.

Unlike most tiny houses I sheet-rocked the walls and they are painted with Sherwin-Williams paint. Nice stuff! I got it from them for 50% off because my sister-in-law works there and they were having an employee appreciation day the day I went to get it. So we got an extra 10% off along with the regular employee discount of 40%!

I have had some friends help with things like hanging the sheet-rock and mudding it. I also had help from a friend with the initial framing. Sometimes your two hands just won't do and you need a third...or fourth.

All the plumbing is done inside the 2x4 walls (blown insulation) and floor joists. Not inside as in drilled through the studs and joists but inside as in inside the living space. So there is no way on earth the plumbing will freeze as long as the inlet pipe is insulated well enough up to the house.

1 comment: